1. When people are waiting for a bus, in a post office, he ____ his turn.
A. wants B. gets C. waits D. takes
2. The animals eats, ______ leaves, a great deal of fruits.
A. in addition B. in addition to C. in adding D. in add to
3. He _____ when the train stopped at a small station.
A. got down B. got up C. got of D. got off
4. They refused ____ that a wrong decision had been made.
A. to recognize B. to realize C. to know D. to say
5. When someone is over age he becomes ____ to do something.
A. very old B. too old C. enough old D. so old
6. ______ she is not a good girl.
A. At my mind B. Of my mind C. To my mind D. On my mind
7. When we boys got old enough to learn trades in school, we wanted to _____ the old house.
A. set up B. fix up C. make up D. turn up
8. They were always looking for a house just ______ better than the place we were living in.
A. a few B. few C. a little D. little
9. I found a place, seated myself, and reached for the menu. The man sitting at the other side of the table _______.
A. rose B. raised C. rode up D. raised up
10. She was _____ to the Party when she was twenty years old.
A. received B. accepted C. admitted D. joined
11. The United States could not have become a great advanced country _____ the labor of the newcomers.
A. in B. out C. without D. with
12. This could give the police an excuse to _____ them out of their house.
A. request B. ask C. please D. drive
13. He seemed to be sure that she would love it. So I just ______ him and didn’t say anything.
A. agreed for B. agreed at C. agreed in D. agreed with
14. The ____ of my textbooks came to 50 dollars.
A. cost B. fee C. fare D spend
15. Young men ______ thought that they should look for work, which interested them.
A. seldom B. sometime C. hardly D. always
16. We are bound to separate and say good-bye to each other _____.
A. sooner and later B. later and sooner
C. sooner or later D. later or sooner
17. There he found her, the sleeping beauty, _____ as beautiful as when she fell asleep one hounded years ago.
A. laying B. laining C. laiding D. lying
18. It took an hour or more before the people left the store and ______ home.
A. headed for B. went for C. looked for D. searched for
19. Don’t make any ____ your father is sleeping.
A. voice B. cry C. noise D. sound
20. There is _____ but a desk and a chair in the classroom.
A. everything B. anything C. nothing D. something
21. Since Xiao Wang knows smoking does great harm to the health, he has already _____.
A. given it in B. given it up C. given it out D. given it off
22. They felt rather ______ after they were beaten in the match.
A. couraged B. encouraged C. discouraged D. encouraging
23. I went _____ over his letter carefully but found no word of encouragement.
A. over B. off C. after D. into
24. If I were you, I wouldn’t believe all those stories --- old Bill loves ______ things up.
A. turning B. keeping C. mixing D. making
25. He was able to _______ his anger and avoid a fight.
A. hold back B. keep on C. let off D. cut out
26. You must walk slowly if you want the children to ______ you.
A. catch with B. hold on C. keep up with D. put up with
27. I thought it was going to rain but it has ______ fine.
A. came out B. stood out C. turned out D. brought out
28. Never ______ till tomorrow what you can do today.
A. put out B. put off C. put up D. put forward
29. The captain refused to _______ the command of his ship and was killed by the pirate.
A. hand out B. hand in C. hand down D. hand over
30. While walking I met another traveler. When he saw me he walked at once _____ of the road.
A. to other side B. to another side
C. to another sides D. to the other side
31. She spoke too quickly ___________.
A. to be understood B. to understand
C. not to understand D. not to be understood
32. Is this the hospital ______ they visited last week?
A. the one which B. which
C. the one where D. where
33. Suppose they didn’t come, what _____ you do?
A. shall B. will C. would D. can
34. We must try to avoid these mistakes ________.
A. repeating B. repeat C. to repeat D. being repeated
35. “Would you mind opening the window?” _______.
A. No, you can’t open now B. Yes, please
C. No, of course not D. Yes, you may open
36. How _____ from here to the library?
A. long it is B. far is there
C. long is it D. far is it
37. If you don’t go, _______ I.
A. nor shall B. neither do
C. nor don’t D. so do
38. She is from Shanghai, ______ population is larger than that of any other city in China.
A. its B. which C. whose D. that
39. Uncle Li used to live in the town, _______ he?
A. didn’t B. weren’t C. hadn’t D. wouldn’t
40. _______ hard she tried, she did not pass the exam.
A. However B. Whenever C. Whoever D. Whatever
41. West of the lake stands a tower __________.
A. 200-meter-high B high 200 meters
C. of about 200 meters D. about 200 meters high
42. He told me that he wouldn’t attend the party _____ invited.
A. without B. because C. unless D. since
43. The classroom is empty. I think they ______ to the library.
A. should have gone B. must go
C. may go D. must have gone
44. My teacher was made ______ his teaching because of poor health.
A. give B. to give up C. given up D. giving up
45. Never in my life _______ such a thing.
A. I have heard of or seen B. I had heard of or seen
C. have I heard of or seen D. did I hear of or seen
46. ____ is good of you to be constantly thinking of helping me.
A. That B. It C. This D. What
47. The bridge ______ next year will be very long.
A. being built B. to be built C. built D. building
48. I was ill that day, otherwise I _____ the sports meeting.
A. would take part in B. had taken part in
C. took part in D. would have taken part in
49. She insisted that he ________ them a quick answer.
A. should give B. gave C. must give D. would give
50. The officer gave the order that soldiers ____ to go out at night.
A. shouldn’t allow B. be not allowed
C. not be allowed D. mustn’t be allowed
51. He looked around for a girl _______.
A. to make a friend B. to make friends
C. to make a friends with D. to make friends with
52. ______ a reply, he decided to write a letter to her again.
A. Having not received B. Not received
C. Not having received D. Not receiving
53. Once you _____ used to the weather here, you _____ this place.
A. get, will probably like B. get, probably liked
C. will get, probably like D. had got, probably liked
54. Mary _____ be in Paris because I saw her in town only an hour ago.
A. mustn’t B. isn’t able to C. can’t D. may not
55. “Do you regret paying ten dollars for the book?” “No, I would gladly pay ________ for it.”
A. as much twice B. twice so much
C. much twice D. twice as much
56. Here are three motors, _______________ ?
A. which one is the bigger B. which one is the biggest
C. what one is bigger D. what one is the biggest
57. I carry only enough money to make change for a _______ bill.
A, ten-dollar B. ten-dollars C. tens-dollar D. tens-dollars
58. “What do you think of this school?” “It is a very good ________.”
A. school to study B. school to study in
C. school for children to study D. studying school
59. Mary was caught in a traffic jam and by the time she arrived at the airport her father’s plane ________.
A. took off B. had already taken off
C. was taken off D. had already been taken off
60. ________ I was free that evening.
A. It happened to B. It happened that
C. That happened D, It was happened that
61. The teacher spoke loudly so that everyone could listen to him.
A B C D
62. On Sundays the supermarkets are full of good things and crowd with people.
A B C D
63. This is the very place where she visited scores of years ago.
A B C D
64. Do you know why must a student at the Open University have access to a radio
A B C D
and a television?
65. My brother watched from the window a lot of PLA men cleared the snow from the
A B C D
66. You’d better help her. The box is too heavy for her to rise.
A B C D
67. The girl who came to help is a friend of my sister.
A B C D
68. All that I can do to help you are to lend you some money.
A B C D
69. How long do we have the Olympics? We have the Olympics once every
A B C
70. It was stupid for her to make such a mistake.
A B C D
III. Translate from Chinese into English
IV. Translate from English into Chinese
86. The old man was so sick and weak that he no longer cared if he lived or died.
87. The warm weather was succeeded by a month of rain.
88. We must take steps to prevent the plan from being carried out.
89. No plan seems too difficult for him to realize.
90. New friends and experiences will help children grow in understanding.
91. Whatever the trouble, they have to struggle on with their lives, they have no choice.
92. She has been struggling with illness for many years.
93. The bag was very large, as though there were nothing in it.
94. We have computer-science courses at different levels.
95. I’ve lost the sheet of paper with all the names of my students on.
96. The man at the booking office asked me how many tickets I wanted.
97. In our country there are still some people who think that to work with one’s hands is dirty and shameful.
98. My friend did not appear until sis o’clock.
99. Have you set a firm date for the meeting?
100. I believe I once tried looking it up in the dictionary.