Part I. 词汇(从A、B、C、D中选出一个最佳答案填入空白处)。
1. A dog’s ________ is its owner.
A) part B) notice C) newspaper D) master
2. If you ____ numbers or amounts together, you have their total.
A) add B) speak C) use D) send
3. I don’t know this _______ of the town very well.
A) money B) fun C) part D) record
4. He ______ “thank you” when he receives something. He stands up when he speaks to a lady or an older person.
A) speaks B) says C) talks D) tells
5. Learning English needs great ______ and takes much time.
A) tongue B) mouth C) pronunciation D) effort
6. The _______ is a piece of land which is away from towns and cities.
A) space B) place C) country D) village
7. He turned his head aside and walked straight _________ me.
A) pass B) passed C) past D) pasted
8. It would be nice if you paid me visit _______.
A) sometime B) some time C) sometimes D) some times
9. They were always looking for a house just ______ better than the place we were living in.
A) a few B) few C) a little D) little
10. You should open your mind _________ some new thoughts.
A) for B) on C) at D) to
11. I found a place, seated myself, and reached for the menu. The man sitting at the other side of the table ________.
A) rose B) raised C) rose up D) raised up
12 The United States could not have become a great advanced country _____ the labor of the newcomers.
A) in B) out C) without D) with
13.This could give the police an excuse to ________ them out of their house.
A) request B) ask C) please D) drive
14. Young men ________ thought that they should look for work which interested them.
A) seldom B) sometime C) hardly D) always
15. There is _________ but a desk and a chair in the classroom.
A) everything B) anything C) nothing D) something
16. We _____ each other the best of luck in the new year.
A) hoped B) wanted C) expected D) wished
17. John has just taken _______ the family business from his father.
A) off B) over C) on D) up
18. They felt rather ________ after they were beaten in the match.
A) couraged B) encouraged C) discouraged D) encouraging
19. He now felt even more _______ without his friend.
A) alone B) lonely C) along D) only
20. I went ______ his letter carefully but found no word of encouragement.
A) over B) off C) after D) into
Part II 结构（从A、B、C、D中选出一个最佳答案填入空白处）
1. It is hard to say that learning English is easy, because a good command of English ________ a lot of practice.
A) depends up B) depends upon C) comes up D) comes upon
2. The animal eats, ________ leaves, a great deal of fruits.
A) in addition B) in addition to C) in adding D) in add to
3. She spoke too quickly _______.
A) to be understood B) to understand C) not to understand D) not to be understood
4. Is this the hospital _______ they visited last week?
A) the one which B) which C) the one where D) where
5. We must try to avoid these mistakes _______.
A) repeating B) repeat C) to repeat D) being repeated
6. “Would you mind opening the window?”__________.
A) No, you can’t open now B) Yes, please
C) No, of course not D) Yes, you may open
7. If you don’t go, ________ I.
A) nor shall B) neither do C) nor don’t D) so do
8. She is from Shanghai, ________ population is larger than that of any other city in China.
A) its B) which C) whose D)that
9. _______ hard she tried, she did not pass the exam.
A) However B) Whenever C) Whoever D) Whatever
10. He told me that he wouldn’t attend the party __________ invited.
A) without B) because C) unless D) since
Part III 从A、B、C、D 中选出错误的一个选项。
1. Suppose it snows this afternoon. We’ll have to stay here until the snow will stop.
A B C D
2. How excited it is to play or watch a game after a day of study or work.
A B C D
3. This is the very place where she visited scores of years ago.
A B C D
4. Do you know why must a student at the Open University have access to a radio and a television?
A B C D
5. The girl who came to help is a friend of my sister.
A B C D
6. If only you’d put the meat in the oven on time, it is ready now.
A B C D
7. I learned English when I was a child, but I forgot most of it.
A B C D
8. They hit their opponents at the football matches and won the cup in the end.
A B C D
9. The speed limit doesn’t allow you to drive your car along this road for 50 kilometers an hour.
A B C D
10. The price of keeping a person in prison for a year is very great.
A B C D
Part IV 阅读理解（阅读下列短文做选择题，从A、B、C、D 中选择一个最佳答案填入空白处）
Paris is the capital of the European nation of France. It is also one of the most beautiful and most famous cities in the world.
Paris is called the City of Light. It is also an international fashion center. What stylish women are wearing in Paris will be worn by women all over the world. Paris is also a famous world center of education. For instance, it is the headquarters of UNESCO, the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization(联合国教科文组织).
The Seine River(塞纳河)divides the city into two parts. Thirty-two bridges cross this scenic river. The oldest and perhaps most well known is the Pont Neuf, which was built in the sixteenth century. The Sorbonne, a famous university, is located on the Left Bank (south side) of the river. The beautiful white church Sacre Coeur lies on top of the hill called Montmartre on the Right Bank (north side) of the Seine.
There are many other famous places in Paris, such as the famous museum the Louver as well as the cathedral of Notre Dame. However, the most famous landmark in this city must be the Eiffel Tower.
Paris is named after a group of people called the Parisii. They built a small village on an island in the middle of the Seine River about two thousand years ago. This island, called the Ile de Cite, is where Notre Dame is located. Today around eight million people live in the Paris area.
1. A good title for this selection is ________.
A. The French Language B. The City of Paris
C. Education and Culture in France D. The Eiffel Tower, the symbol of Paris
2. The word “headquarters” in paragraph 2 means _________.
A. buildings B. research center C. leading body D. main office
3. we may conclude that Notre Dame is located ________.
A. on the Left Bank B. on the Right Bank C. on neither bank D. on both banks
4. The Pont Neuf was built _________.
A. in 1500s B. in 1700s C. in the 1600s D. around 1000s
5. The population in France is _________.
A. around 36 million B. around 46 million
C. around 56 million D. not told in the reading
Getting married and having children used to be a natural part of life in China. Continuing the family line is still considered the most important thing to many Chinese people.
But since the 1980’s, young couples are changing the belief of their ancestors.
The past ten years have seen an obvious increase in the number of childless couples. These couples, mainly in big cities like Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjing, usually have higher education and income levels. These are the couples who are able to have a child but for various reasons have decided not to.
Some of these young couples said that our country is already over burdened with its huge population. They said their choice is their contribution to the family-planning policy. Besides, they want to devote all their time and energy to their work or cause. One of them said, “I love my career more than my life.”
As the standard of living rises with the growing economy, many young people are able to pay attention to their personal happiness.
Although some people see childbirth as a natural law and thus look down upon these couples, the decision not to have a child should be respected. Everyone has the right or make their own choice. The family-planning policy allows each couple one child, but it doesn’t demand they should have one. They can choose to have no child or to have a child late in life.
6. The most important thing to many of the Chinese people is _______.
A. living a happy life B. obeying parents
C. continuing the family line D. getting married in time
7. The young couples began to change the belief of their ancestors ________.
A. in the 1980’s B. in 1980 C. in the 1990’s D. in nineteen ninety
8. The childless couples __________.
A. are mainly seen in the countryside
B. mainly live in some big cities and have higher education and income levels
C. are all bad sons and daughters of their parents
D. all know nothing about our Chinese history or common sense
9. The reason why some young couples decided not to have children is that _______.
A. they have not enough money to support their children
B. China has already been over burdened with its large population so they want to make their contribution to the family-planning policy
C. they love their work and cause more than their own life
D. both B and C
10. The writer’s attitude to the young couples is that _________.
A. he is strongly against their choice
B. he thinks they have rights to make any choice
C. they break law
D. they should be looked down upon
A habit is something we do very often. We do not think when we are doing it. We can have good habits or bad habits.
Early to bed, early to rise.
Make a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
This is an old English saying. Have you heard it before? It means that we must go to bed early and get up early in the morning. If we do, we shall be healthy. We shall also be rich and clever.
Is this true? The body must have enough sleep. Children of your age need ten hours’ sleep every night. If you do not have enough sleep, you cannot think and do your work properly. You will not be wise and you may not become wealthy!
Some people go to bed late at night and get up late in the morning. This is not good for them. We must sleep at night when it is dark. When the daylight comes, we must get up. This is the time for exercise. Exercise means doing things with the body. Walking, running, jumping, swimming, playing games are all exercise. Exercise keeps body strong.
Exercise helps the blood to move around inside the body. Blood takes food to all parts of our bodies. The brains in our heads also need blood. We think with our brains. If we keep our bodies healthy, and take exercise, we can think better!
Our bodies also need air to breathe. We must have plenty of clean, fresh air to breathe if we want to be healthy.
11. A habit is something we do ________.
A. every day B. twice a day C. every week D. very often
12. If we want to be healthy, wealthy and wise, we must go to bed __________.
A. late and get up late B. early and get up late
C. early and get up early D. eleven hours’ sleep
13. Children of your age need _______.
A. ten hours’ sleep B. nine hours’ sleep C. twelve hours’ sleep D. eleven hours’ sleep
14. The best time to sleep is when ________.
A. it is dark B. it is day light C. we are taking exercise D. near an open window
15. Exercise makes the body ___________.
A. weak B. strong C. clever D. wealthy
Not long ago I was invited out to dinner by a girl called Sally. I had only met Sally twice, and she was very, very beautiful. I was flattered. “She likes me,” I thought. But I was in for a disappointment.
“I’m so sorry we asked you at such short notice,” she said when I arrived, “but we suddenly realized there were going to be thirteen people at the table, so we just had to find somebody else.”
A superstition (迷信). Thirteen. The unlucky number. Recently I came upon a little group of worried people, gathered round a man lying on the pavement (人行道) beside a busy London road. They were waiting for an ambulance, because the man had been knocked down by a passing taxi. Apparently he had stepped off the pavement and into the street, to avoid walking under a ladder.
They say this superstition goes back to the days when the gallows (绞架) were built on a platform. To get up on to the platform you had to climb a ladder. To pass under the shadow of that ladder was very unlucky …
Other superstitions are not so easily explained. To see a black cat in England is lucky. But if you see a black cat in India, it is considered very unlucky. There too, if you are about to set out on a long journey, and someone sneezes, you shouldn’t go.
Break a mirror--- you will have seven years’ bad luck. Find a fourleafed flower, you will have good luck. Just crazy superstitions, of course.
I have an African friend. One day he said to me, “ if ever an African says to you that he is not superstitious, that man is a liar.”
Perhaps that is true of all of us.
16. Why did Sally invite him?
A. Sally regarded the writer as a close friend.
B. Sally would like to have more people at the dinner.
C. Sally wanted to have one more person so that they could have thirteen people.
D. Sally invited him in order to avoid the unlucky number 13.
17. What does the word “flattered” mean in the first paragraph?
A. pleased B. satisfied C. interested D. surprised
18. What happened to the man lying on the pavement?
A. He stepped off the street and into the pavement.
B. He was knocked down by a passing taxi.
C. He walked under a ladder.
D. He was waiting for an ambulance.
19. In the last sentence, the writer suggests that _________.
A. all of us are superstitious B. all of us are liars
C. all Africans are superstitious D. all Africans are liars
20. Which is the best title of the passage?
A. Unlucky Number 13 B. Bad luck C. Superstition D. liars
Part V 完型填空（读短文，从A、B、C、D中选出一个最佳答案填入空白处）
One day, when I was at an airport waiting for my flight, I had to make a phone call. I looked around and found all the phones were __1__. So I went to wait __2__ line as I stood there for a long time.
The person talking on the phone was an old man and I could hear the conversation very __3__. He was talking about his __4__in this city. He said he was having a good time. He commended (评论) on the weather here and asked about the weather back there. __5__ he was talking he was eating a sandwich and drinking coffee.
He went on and on for about twenty minutes and I was really __6__ impatient for the phone call I had to make was very ___7__. Finally the guy hung up. He __8____ around and saw a long line of people there. He said apologetically, “ Well, I’m ___9____ that I took so long on the phone, but I was having ___10___ with my wife.”
1. A. busy B. free C. new D. useful
2. A. in B. for C. on D. along
3. A. unclearly B. clearly C. longer D. suddenly
4. A. business B. trip C. family D. workmates
5. A. Soon B. After C. Before D. While
6. A. getting B. having C. making D. doing
7. A. easy B. difficult C. important D. hard
8. A. went B. came C. turned D. stood
9. A. glad B. pleased C. sad D. sorry
10. A. sports B. dinner C. lessons D. laughing
Part VI 把下列句子译成英语。
Part VII 把下列句子译成汉语。
1. I have to look for a new job.
2. He looks down upon me.
3. Have you already made up your mind to stay?
4. He always likes to talk about old times.
5. How do I know what to do and what not to do?